Incorporated into : 1974 Hereford and Worcester
Re-established as a unitary district council : 1998
Additions : 1998 Hereford, Leominster (1974 Kington RDC, Kington UDC, Leominster (borough), Leominster & Wigmore RDC, Tenbury RDC, Weobley RDC), South Herefordshire (1974 Dore & Bredwardine RDC, Hereford RDC, Ross & Whitchurch RDC, Ross-on-Wye UDC)
Arms : Gules on a Fesse wavy between in chief a Lion passant guardant Argent and in base a Herefordshire Bull's Head caboshed proper a Bar wavy Azure.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Lion rampant Gules holding in the sinister claw a Fleece Or.
Supporters : On the dexter side a Lion guardant Or gorged with a Wreath of Hops fructed proper and on the sinister a Talbot Argent gorged with a Collar Or charged with three Apples proper.
Motto : 'PULCHRA TERRA DEI DONUM' - This fair land is the gift of God.
The arms were officially granted on February 28, 1946 to the Herefordshire County Council and re-adopted in 1998 by the new County of Herefordshire District Council.
The red background is taken form the arms of the City of Hereford and also represents the red earth of Herefordshire. The silver lion is from the arms of the City of Hereford, and in base is a Herefordshire Bull's head. The silver and blue wave represents the River Wye.
The crest is based on the arms of the Borough of Leominster, which feature a rampant lion holding a lamb and is a reference to the importance of agriculture to the county.
The gold Lion is that of England, differenced by a garland of hops around his neck. The talbot is taken from the arms of the Talbot family, Marcher Lords of Shrewsbury and Viscounts of Hereford. For difference he wears a gold collar charged with apples, an important product of the county.
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !