Highworth

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

HIGHWORTH (Rural District COuncil)

Incorporated into : 1974 Thamesdown (1997 Swindon Unitary Authority)

Arms (crest) of Highworth

Official blazon

Arms : Per saltire Vert and Gules a Saltire Argent between in chief a Mute Swan rousant proper in base a Tower Argent and in fess two Hammers erect Or.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours on Mount Vert issuant from a Crown Vallary Or a Garb of Wheat proper girt with a Circlet per fess embattled Sable and Argent.
Motto: 'MAGNI CONSILIUM PRETII' - Wisdom is of high worth.

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on March 12, 1968.

The swan, often used as an emblem of rivers, recalls the River Thames in the north. The tower represents the ancient forts of Liddington Castle and Barbury Castle in the south. In the flanks of the shield the engineering and steel industries are symbolized by a background of fiery red and two gold hammers which also recall the "hammerman poet" Alfred Williams.

The crest is derived from that of the Warneford family, identified by a circlet divided, like their shield, by an embattled line into black and white.

The motto refers to the name of the Council, which is also capable of being interpreted as "The Council of Highworth".


Follow us on
Facebook.jpg

Mail.png
Contact us
Support the site:
Donate.jpg

Click on the image to see how to support the site !

Literature : Scott-Giles, 1953 and image from http://www.civicheraldry.co.uk