Northumberland County Council
|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
NORTHUMBERLAND (County Council)
Additions : 2009 Blyth Valley, Wansbeck, Castle Morpeth (1974 Castle Ward (partly), Morpeth RDC (partly), Morpeth (Borough)), Tynedale (1974 Bellingham RDC, Haltwhistle RDC, Hexham UDC, Hexham RDC, Prudhoe UDC), Alnwick, Berwick-upon-Tweed
The arms were granted on December 4, 1951.
Before this the council used the attributed arms of the Kingdom of Bernicia - "paly of eight Or and gules". In the official grant this has been altered to represent Hadrian's Wall and the English / Scottish border.
The crest is based on the old badge of the county Sherrifs. The blue lion with extended tail comes from the arms of the Percy family, Earls and Dukes of Northumberland.
The supporters are gold lions from the attributed arms of King Oswald of Northumbria. The arms are repeated in the crest, in the banners held by the supporters and in the colours of the collars.
|Follow us on
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
|Heraldry of the World is a private site,
all paid for by 1 person and
maintained by 3 persons as a hobby.
If you like this initiative, please, support the site:
Literature : Image provided by Laurence Jones