|Heraldry of the World |
|Polish heraldry portal|
Herbarz Miast Polskich
The town was founded by Prince Mieszko of Cieszyn (German-Teschen) in 1291. The arms date from the 15th century and bear the gold eagle of the Piast Princes of Cieszyn and a tower as an indication of city status.
On October 24, 1793 Emperor Franz II granted the city arms showing in blue a silver double-headed eagle, with a tower on its breast. These arms have been used until the end of the Austrian rule. The current arms only appear after 1920.
The arms as shown by Ströhl, 1900
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms in the Kawa Hag album +/- 1932
The arms as shown around 1970
The arms as shown in 1994
Historical, 15th century, coins of the city showed on the one side an eagle and on the other a tower with the letters O S for Ossuacim, the Latinized name of the town.
15th century coin (image from eBay)
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature : Ströhl, 1904; Plewako and Wanag, 1994