Incorporated into : 1975 Edinburgh District Council (1996 Edinburgh City)
Argent, in the sea Azure a galley with her sails trussed up Sable, on the middle part thereof Queen Margaret of Scotland standing richly apparelled and crowned Proper, holding in her dexter hand a sceptre ensigned with a fleur-de-lys Or, and in her sinister lying on her breast a book folded Purpure.
With these Words in an Escrol underneath "Insignia Burgi Passagii Reginae".
The arms were granted in 1673.
QueensferryY was a Burgh dependent on the Abbey of Dunfermline by about 1328, and as South Queensferry was created a Burgh of Regality in favour of Robert Pitcairn, Archdeacon of St. Andrews, as Commendator of Dunfermline, in 1576-77.
The arms, which are sometimes used with a Burghal coronet added to them, are the same as the device on the oldest known seal of the Burgh, of which an impression dated 1529 is on record.
The arms are canting and show Queen Margaret, who gave the place its name, standing in a boat on the sea. She is said to have landed here after her flight from England about 1067, and it was here that she usually crossed the Firth of Forth when going to and from Edinburgh between 1068-69 and 1093. She and her husband, King Malcolm III (1057-I093), granted the Dunfermline monks the right to ferry pilgrims to St. Andrews across the Firth free of charge and from this franchise descended the Ferry, which continued until the opening of the Forth Road Bridge in 1965.
The Queen carries her famous copy of the Gospels, coloured purple for Royalty.
The Latin motto means "The insignia of the Burgh of the Queen's Ferry".
Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms in the town with blue background(source)
Argent, in the sea Azure, a galley with her sails trussed up Sable, surmounted by Queen Margaret of Scotland standing richly apparelled and crowned Proper, holding in her dexter hand a sceptre ensigned with a fleur-de-lys Or, and in her sinister, lying on her breast, a book folded Purpure.
Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or, and in an Escrol below the same these Words "Insignia Burgi Passagii Reginae".
The arms were granted on August 31, 2000.
These are the Burgh arms with a crown of a community council.
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature : Porteous, 1906; Urquhart, 1974, 2001