Additions : 1974 Rugby (RDC)
Arms : Per chevron engrailed Azure and Or in chief a Bezant charged with a Rose Gules barbed and seeded proper between two Griffins' Heads erased Or and in base a Bear erect Sable collared and supporting a ragged Staff Gules all within a Bordure Vert charged with eight Bezants.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours a Thunderbolt Or the Flames proper charged with a Wheel Sable between two Lions Gambs erased Or each holding a Date branch fructed proper.
Motto: 'FLOREAT RUGBEIA MAIOR' - May Greater Rugby flourish.
The arms were officially granted on march 15, 1976. Following the enlargement of the Borough in 1974, the previous arms were regranted in an altered form.
Many of the charges in the shield and crest (griffins' heads, rose, lion's gambs, date branches) are taken from the arms of Lawrence Sherriff, Elizabethan grocer and native of Rugby. The rose is placed on a gold bezant or coin, suggesting the commercial activities of Mr. Sherriff. At the bottom of the shield is the bear and ragged staff from the arms of Warwickshire County Council.
In 1976 a green bordure was added to suggest the rural district added to the town. This is charged with eight bezants one for every five of the forty parishes added to the town in 1974.The crest features a thunderbolt, for the town's electrical industry.
In 1976 a black wheel was added to the crest for heraldic difference, and represents the mechanical industry.Until 1974 the town's motto was FLOREAT RUGBEIA or May Rugby Flourish.
The 1976 arms have an altered motto - FLOREAT RUGBEIA MAIOR or May Greater Rugby Flourish.
The previous arms
Arms : Per chevron engrailed Azure and Or in chief a Bezant charged with a Rose Gules barbed and seeded proper between two Griffins' Heads erased of the second and in base a Bear erect Sable collared an supporting a ragged Staff of the third.
Crest :On a Wreath of the Colours a Thunderbolt Or the flames proper between two Lions' Gambs erased Gold each holding a Date Branch fructed also proper.
Motto: 'FLOREAT RUGBEIA'-May Rugby flourish.
The arms were officially granted on September 27, 1932.
The elements are already explained above.
The arms on am 1891 medal
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature : Information provided by Laurence Jones