|Heraldry of the World |
Heraldik av världen
|Swedish heraldry portal|
The arms were granted on January 26, 1945 and reconfirmed in 1974.
The arms are based on the oldest known seal of the city, which dates from 1535. The seal is not very clear, and when the city applied for arms for its 500th anniversary, there was a lively debate of what the small figures in the quarters were. Most likely the figures were the letter S, the initial of the town. But as letters are not allowed in Swedish heraldry, they were transformed into eels.
The arms as shown by Liljeblad, 1878
The arms in the Kaffe Hag album +/- 1935
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature : Petersson, 19??