Incorporated into : 1965 Camden
Arms: Per saltire Sable and Argent two Escallops in pale and two Elephants' Heads erased in fesse countercharged on a Chief Or two Swords in saltire proper between two Roses Gules barbed and seeded also proper.
Crest: On a Wreath Argent and Sable a Figure of Saint Pancras holding a Book and Palm as represented on a brass at Cowfold in Sussex [Or].
Motto: 'WITH WISDOM AND COURAGE'.
The arms were granted on December 7, 1936.
The escallop shells and the elephants' heads come respectively from the arms of the Duke of Bedford and the Marquess of Camden. The crossed swords are from the arms of the Dean and Chapter of London.
The crest shows a figure of St. Pancras holding a book and a palm, as represented on a brass at Cowfold in Sussex.
Prior to 1931 the borough used the (unofficial) arms below:
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
The arms on a Wills's cigarette card, 1908
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature : Scott-Giles, C.W. : Civic heraldry of England and Wales, London, 1932.