Additions : 1974 Cheltenham RDC, Gloucester RDC (partly)
Arms : Gules a Cross engrailed Or on a Chief per pale Argent and Gules a Castle proper flying from each flanking Turret a Flag counter-changed between two Roses counterchanged barbed and seeded proper.
Crest : On a Wreath Argent and Gules out of a Saxon Crown Or a demi Lion double-queued Vert holding in the paws a Pear Sable.
Supporters : On the dexter side a Panther guardant Argent semy of Torteaux Hurts and Pomeis alternately issuant from the mouth and ears Flames proper collared with a Chain reflexed over the back Or and on the sinister side an Eagle wings expanded and inverted Argent beaked and legged Or; upon a Compartment Vert a Pall wavy Argent charged with another Azure.
Motto: 'IN CONSILIO SAPIENTIA' - There is wisdom in Counsel
The arms were officially granted on April 10, 1964.
In the shield the golden cross engrailed on red in reference to the arms of the Tewkesbury Abbey occupies the place of honour. In the chief of the shield the castle, the Council's emblem from the Corporate Seal and the Mayor's Chain, appears between red and white roses in reference to the Battle of Tewkesbury.
In the crest a green demi lion with two tails from the arms of Dudley, Earl of Leicester - who was responsible for obtaining for the Borough the first Royal Charter of Incorporation in 1574 - issues from a Saxon crown, denoting a Royal Borough with Saxon origin and holds between the paws a black pear from the arms of Sir George Dowty.
The supporters are an heraldic panther from the arms of the Duke of Beaufort and an eagle from the arms of the Earl of Coventry, both families having a long association with the Borough. The first High Steward appointed in 1574 was the Duke of Beaufort. The shield and supporters rest on the compartment in which symbolic reference is made to the convergence at Tewkesbury of the Rivers Severn and Avon. Both of these rivers having played and still do, a most important role in the life of the Borough.
The arms on an heraldic plate
(image from Coat of Arms, 1970)
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature : Image and information provided by Laurence Jones.