University of Hull
UNIVERSITY OF HULL
Arms : Azure, a torch fired and enfiled with a ducal coronet Or between on the dexter a rose argent, barbed and seeded proper, and on the sinister a fleur-de-lys of the second; on a chief wavy of the third a dove of the first.
Motto: Lampada ferens
The arms were officially granted on November 22, 1927 to the University College Hull. Transferred to the University of Hull in 1954.
The torch is a general symbol of learning an enlightenment, the crown is taken from the arms of Hull. The rose and the fleur-de-lys represent the counties of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire respectively. The university traditionally attracted students from these 2 counties.
The wavy chief refers to the Hull and Humber rivers. The dove is taken from the arms of Thomas Ferens, the founder of University College Hull in 1928.
The motto means Carry the light and is a reference to Thomas Ferens as well as the torch in the arms.
The arms in the Hull guildhall (source)
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature: Information from Geoff Hetherington