Zarasai

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Pasaulio heraldika
Lithuania.jpg
Lithuanian heraldry portal
Lietuvas Heraldika
Lithuania-flag.jpg

ZARASAI

County : Utena

Arms of Zarasai

Official blazon

Origin/meaning

Zarasai first received a coat of arms in 1836, when the town was renamed Novoaleksandrovsk, in honour of Alexander, son of Emperor Nicholas I. From 1919-1929 the town was named Ezerenai, and in 1929 the original name of Zarasai was restored. The old arms showed in the upper half of the shield the Russian eagle, and in the lower a phoenix rising from the flames, and a building in the background. There is no evidence that this coat of arms was ever used.

When Novoaleksandrovsk became a district center, new arms were granted. The new arms showed in the upper half an obelisk, symbol of Kaunas province. The lower half also showed an obelisk as a symbol of the town itself. The obelisk in the town was built in 1841.

Arms of Novoaleksandrovsk

The arms of Novoaleksandrovsk

In 1969 the city wanted to adopt new arms. The symbolism in the old arms was traditionally imperial Russian, and thus considered unsuitable. The new design showed an imaginary animal, partly stag, partly fish, symbolising the rich forests and lakes around the city. The orb represents the sun. The base of the shield showed a wavy sword, symbolising historical battles and justice. The design was introduced, but already abolished in 1970.

After the independence of Lithuania the design was slightly changed and officially granted on March 7, 1996.

Arms of Zarasai

The arms from 1969
Arms of Zarasai

The arms on a Startas matchbos label (1970s ?)
Arms of Zarasai

The arms on a 1996 stamp

Follow us on Facebook.jpg

(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)

Donate.jpg

Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Rate these arms / rate this page :
5.00
(2 votes)

(no information about you is stored when voting, only the vote itself is stored)


Literature : Rimsa, 1998