Aberchirder and Marnoch
|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
ABERCHIRDER AND MARNOCH (Community Council)
Area Council : Aberdeenshire
Tierced in pairle reversed, 1st, Or, two croziers in saltire Azure; 2nd Azure, a boar's head couped Or; 3rd, Argent, a cross pattee Azure.
Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or, and in an Escrol below the same this Motto "Aye Foggieloan".
The arms were granted on August 6, 1998.
The arms were designed in 1998 when Robert Bremner, the last of the 14 Provosts of the Burgh of Aberchirder, instituted enquiries as to whether Aberchirder had ever obtained a coat of arms, and discovered that this had not happened. Two crosiers represent St Marnan, a Celtic missionary who founded the parish of Marnoch in the 7th century.
A boar's head represents Alexander Gordon of Auchintoul who founded the town in 1764.
A cross pattee was used on the burgh seal of the Town Council which existed from 1890 until 1975. This seal, as seen below, hwas designed to be simple; the cross had no special meaning.
The motto Aye Foggieloan refers to the traditional name for the town which was built on the site of a ferm toun of that name which can be seen on maps of the mid 18th century.
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?