Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
The arms were officially adopted in December 2020.
The arms show the Lieve canal among the green fields and hedges (the area is characterised by long hedges). The Lieve, that runs through the villages constituting this new municipality, wass a canal that was dug between Ghent and Damme between 1251-1269. Only a few parts of the canal remain. The silver chief symbolises the open skies above the hedges.
The arms replaced a previous version, showing the Lieve, the Gravensteen castle in Gent and two herons/egrets for the nature/wildlife in the area:
These arms were designed in early 2020 by the Flemish Heraldic Council, but were not popular... the council, mayor and the local advisory committee were not in favour. The Gravensteen is a castle in Gent, which is outside the municipality. The reason why the Gravensteen was added was that Countess Margarethe of Vlaanderen ordered the construction of the canal and she lived in the Gravensteen. The canal also ended near the Gravensteen castle.
As these arms were not approved locally, the new arms were designed.
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site