|Heraldry of the World|
|Swiss heraldry portal|
Armorial de Suisse
The arms of Uri date from the early 13th century. The oldest known seal dates from 1249, but is probably older. It shows already a bull's head with a ring.
The first seal (used from 1249)
The second seal (used from 1258)
The third seal (used from 1353)
The fourth seal (used from 1489)
The bull was probably a canting symbol. The oldest Germanic tribes to settle in the area named the area Ur (wilderness). The land was inhabited by a kind of bulls, known as Urochs (Bos primigenus), the ancestor of our present cows.
The arms of the canton thus have basically not changed since.
The arms on a 1569 coin
The arms on a 1610 coin
The arms on a 1726 coin
The arms on a 1811 coin
Variations of the arms in the Kaffee Hag albums 1914-1960
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature : Mühlmann, L. : Wappen und Fahnen der Schweiz, Bühler Verlag, Lengnau, 1977 and 1997.