Baie d’Urfé

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Arms (crest) of Baie d’Urfé

Province : Canada

State : Quebec

Loading map...
Official blazon
French blazon wanted
English Vair a chief Gules.


The arms were officially granted on August 15, 2012.

The arms were borne by François-Saturnin Lascaris d’Urfé (1641-1701), a Sulpician missionary and the first resident priest of Saint-Louis-du-Haut-de-l’Île, the site of the present-day town of Baie-d’Urfé. The last member of the Lascaris d’Urfé family died in 1794, and the town has used the arms since 1960 to honour its association with the family.

The unusual arrangement of the vair pattern at the base of the arms replicates their rendering on a silver cup once owned by François-Saturnin Lascaris d’Urfé, now in the collection of the Notre-Dame Basilica of Montreal. According to tradition, the arms were granted to Wlphe le Robuste, the progenitor of the family of Lascaris d’Urfé, to honour his participation in the Siege of Antioch in 1098. In battle, Wlphe wore a coat of scarlet lined with squirrel fur, the heraldic “vair”, and this coat inspired the designLiterature: Image from

Heraldry of the World
Canada heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of Canada
Armorial Canadienne

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site