|Heraldry of the World
|British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
BALLYMONEY (District COuncil)
Additions: 1974 Ballymoney UDC, Ballymoney RDC
Incorporated into: 2015 Causeway Coast and Glens
Arms : Per saltire azure and argent in fess two cross crosslets fitchy gules in chief a tower and in base a garb Or.
The arms were officially granted on January 16, 1979
The division of the shield per saltire and coloured blue and white, alludes to St. Andrew’s cross, and thereby to Ballymoney’s connection with Scotland. The red crosses are taken from the arms and crest of the MacDonnells and the wheatsheaf refers to agriculture.
The tower represents Ballymoney’s old church tower. The curlew denotes the wildlife in the Ballymoney area and an heraldic fountain represents the Altnahinch Dam and Garry Bog.
The horse features as a supporter to the arms of Lord Macartney, and the boar indicates Ballymoney’s bacon industry.
The mural crowns with which the supporters are gorged refer to the Council’s borough status.
Arms for Ballymoney UDC on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
Arms for Ballymoney UDC in 1937
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site Image and info send by Denis Towner, Australia