Arms: Quarterly argent and Or, in the first quarter a dexter hand appaumy gules, in the second and third a cogwheel azure, and in the fourth an eagle displayed gules; on a chief vert a rural crown Or.
The arms were officially granted on October 5, 1966.
The red hand of Ulster is taken from the O'Neill arms and records the early history of Castlereagh and the cogwheels represent modern industrial development in the district. The rural crown consists of ears of wheat and sprigs of oak, referring to agriculture and the countryside.
The battlements recall Caisleán Riabhach or "grey castle" that gives its name to the area was built about 1350 by Aodh Flann O'Neill. The castle and land was abandoned by the O'Neills in 1618 and the castle no longer exists. The Irish Elk is a supporter of the arms of both Down County Council and Northern Ireland.Literature: Information from http://www.civicheraldry.co.uk/
|Heraldry of the World
|British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site