|Heraldry of the World
|British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Arms : Argent, a chevron azure, in chief two garbs and in base a salmon naiant proper; a chief harry wavy of the first and second, thereon a pale of the first charged with a saltire gules.
Crest : On a wreath of the colours, Upon a mound vert a castle with two towers proper charged with a dexter hand couped gules.
Supporters : On either side a dragon per fesse argent and gules charged on the wing with a sword erect of the last.
Motto: Cuil rathain
The arms were officially granted on October 24, 1951.
Cuil Rathain has been interpreted as 'the corner of the ferns'. The other and more probable translation of the town name, based upon 'cuil rath na ene' is 'little fort on the corner' referring to the prominent ancient earthen rath at Mountsandel, situated on a very distinct bend of the River Bann near the Salmon Leap.
The Red Cross is the cross of St Patrick who is claimed to have given Coleraine its name, Cul Rathain. The blue lines on each side of the cross represent a port or harbour, of which there are four in the Borough. The wheat sheaves represent agriculture in the Borough, whilst the fish denotes the salmon found in the River Bann.
The castle on top of the shield refers to the former 11th-15th century Norman Castles as well as to the 16th-17th century earthen ramparts of the planned town. The dragons supporting the crest originate from the City of London Arms. Only settlements granted Borough status or better are permitted to have supports of this kind.
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?