|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Azure, an elephant statant Argent, tusked Or, charged on the forehead with a crescent Gules, bearing on his back a tower Proper.
Above the Shield is placed a coronet appropriate to a statutory District, videlicet:-a circlet richly chased, from which are issuant eight thistle-heads (three and two halves visible) Or;• and in an Escrol under the same this Motto" Aonaichte".
The arms were granted on July 25, 1977.
The arms are largely based on that of the former Dumbarton Burgh, see below. As a difference the elephant is standing instead of walking and has a red crescent on the forehead. The crescent in English heraldry is indicating a second son, or in this case a re-grant.
The motto "Aonaichte" means "Togetherness", and symbolises the unification of the three burghs and the districts.
Incorporated into : 1975 Dumbarton District
Azure, an elephant passant Argent, tusked Or, bearing on his back a tower Proper.
The Motto in an Escrol is "Fortitudo et Fidelitas".
The arms were granted in 1673.
The arms are similar to ancient Burgh seal, known since 1357 and which shows the elephant passant to sinister. This is, however, changed on a later seal. The elephant is said to have been chosen because in shape it is thought to resemble Dumbarton Rock; the castle on its back is Dumbarton Castle.
The Latin motto "Fortitude and Fidelity" is considered to refer not only to the elephant but also to the fortress of Dumbarton Castle and its loyalty to the Scottish Throne.
Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1935
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature : Urquhart, 1974, 1979; burgh arms from BDV cigarette silk card