From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


State : Bayern
District (Kreis) : Neumarkt in der Oberpfalz
Additions: 1972 Aßlschwang, Forchheim, Großberghausen, Höfen, Lauterbach, Michelbach, Möning, Mörsdorf, Oberndorf (partly), Sondersfeld, Sulzkirchen, Thannhausen, Thundorf; 1978 Burggriesbach

Wappen von Freystadt/Arms (crest) of Freystadt
Official blazon
German In Blau ein silberner Greif, dem ein von Silber und Blau geteiltes Schildchen aufgelegt ist.
English blazon wanted


Freystadt was founded around 1300 by the Lords of Hilpoltstein. The oldest seal dates from 1332 and shows the griffin of the Lords of Hilpoltstein, who derived the griffin from the Counts of Peilstein.

In the 15th century the city used a divided shield of silver and blue, with an eagle as supporter. This shield shows the arms of the Von Stein family, from which the Counts of Hilpoltstein were a branch. Later seals again showed only the griffin.

The two were combined in the present arms, which were re-designed in 1965, but used since the late 19th century.

Image gallery

Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s

This page is part of the
German heraldry portal

Heraldry of the World

German heraldry:

Selected collector's items from Germany:

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site