|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Per fess Azure and Or, a fess chequy Argent and of the First between two mullets in chief of the Third, and as many roses Gules, barbed and seeded Vert, in base; over all a pale of the Third charged with a tower of the Fourth, windows and port of the Second, situated upon a mount of the Fifth.
The said Shield is ensigned of a coronet appropriate to a Burgh.
The arms were officially granted on July 11, 1951.
Gatehouse-of-Fleet was created a Burgh of Barony in 1795 in favour of James Murray of Broughton and Cally.
The arms are based on those of Murray of Broughton which have silver stars on a blue field (for Murray), a silver/blue fess chequy on a gold field (for Stewart of Dalwinton and Stewart of Girthon) and two red roses (for Lennox of Cally).
The tower represents the Burgh Clock Tower, built partly by a bequest and partly by public subscription in 1871, a representation of which appeared on the seal adopted by the Burgh in 1894; its colour recalls the Stewarts of Garlies, ancestors of the present Earls of Galloway, another family associated with the district, since red is one of their livery colours.
Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature : Urquhart, 1974