From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Province : Limburg

Wapen van Genk/Coat of arms (crest) of Genk

Official blazon

  • (1951)Verdeling : de 1e, met dwarsstrepen van goud en keel van tien stukken, wat Looz is; de 2e, van azuur met een Sint Maarten te paard die zijn mantel met een arme deelt, het geheel van goud.
  • (1992) Gedeeld : 1. gedwarsbalkt van tien stukken van goud en van keel; 2. in lazuur een Sint-Maarten te paard, zijn mantel delend met een arme, het geheel van goud.


The arms were officially granted on January 3, 1951 and again on October 6, 1992.

Genk did not have arms until 1951, but used a seal showing St. Martin of Tours. This seal (see image below) was actaully granted on July 27, 1907 as offcial symbol for the town, was based on a 17th century seal. Saint Martin of Tours is the patron saint of Genk.

Wapen van/Blason de Genk

The seal in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930

The arms granted in 1951 (and confirmed in 1994) are based on the oldest seal of the town, dating from the 15th century. This seal combines the patron saint with the arms of the County of Loon. Genk became a possession of the Counts of Loon in the 13th century, and in the late 14th century to the Bishops of Liège. Due to this change the arms of Loon were probably later removed from the seal.

Wapen van/Blason de Genk

The arms on a police badge (source)

Literature: Servais, 1955

Belgium heraldry portal

This page is part of the
Belgium heraldry portal

Heraldry of the World

Civic heraldry:

  • Total pages in the Belgium section : 6,284
  • of which images : 5,065

Other heraldry:

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site