Girvan

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 15,572
  • Total images in the British section : 9,351

GIRVAN

Incorporated into: 1975 Kyle and Carrick (1996 South Ayrshire)

Burgh

Arms (crest) of Girvan

Official blazon

Argent, on the waves of the sea in base undy Vert and of the field, an ancient three-masted ship, half her sails furled, flying pennants and flagged at the stern with the banner of Scotland all Gules, cantoned Azure charged with a Saint Andrew's cross of the First, the foresail charged with the arms of Boyd of Pinkhill, viz. : Azure, a fess chequy Silver and Gules, in base a cross moline Or.

Above the Shield is placed a Burghal coronet and in an Escrol below the Shield this Motto "Weave Industry with Truth".

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on June 27, 1930.

Girvan was created a Burgh of Barony in 1668.

The arms are based on the device on the 1892 Burgh seal. The field has been made silver and the ship red since these are the colours of Carrick, in which district of Ayrshire Girvan lies.

The ship denotes that the town is a seaport and on its foresail are the arms of its founder, Thomas Boyd of Pinkhill.

The motto, also from the seal, refers to the handloom weaving industry which was formerly prominent in the town.


seal of Girvan

Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
Girvan.thp.jpg

The arms on a cigarette card, 1910s
Girvan2.jpg

The arms on Stumpy Tower (source)

Community Council

Official blazon

Argent, on the waves of the sea in base undy Vert and of the Field, an ancient three-masted ship, half her sails furled, flying pennants and flagged at the stern with the banner of Scotland all Gules, cantoned Azure charged with a Saint Andrew's cross of the First, the foresail charged with the arms of Boyd of Pinkhill, videlicet:- Azure, a fess chequy Silver and Gules, in base a cross moline Or.

Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or, and in an Escrol below the same this Motto "Weave Industry with Truth".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on September 18, 1987.

Arms (crest) of Girvan

The arms are based on the old burgh arms, but with the crown of a community council.


Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site

Literature: Urquhart, 1974, 2001