Geteilt von Silber und Rot; oben das Schloss Friedenstein in Silber und mit schwarzen Dächern, unten über einem von Silber und Schwarz geschliffenen sechsstrahligen Stern ein silberner Wellenbalken.
The arms were granted on June 28, 1991.
The upper part shows the Friedenstein castle, the largest baroque castle in Europe. The wavy bar is the Leina canal, dug in the 14th century to supply the city of Gotha with water. The star is derived from the old arms of the Duchy of Sachsen-Gotha-Altenburg.
The previous arms were adopted on December 3, 1948.
The arms show the Inselberg, the highest point in the district with a tower in front of a rising sun. The base shows six wheat-ears symbol for the importance of agriculture.
Postal cancellation 1993
Postal cancellation 2012
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature: Linder and Olzog, 1996.