Grafschaft Hoya

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


State : Niedersachsen
Additions: 1932 Syke
Incorporated into: 1979 Diepholz, Nienburg, Oldenburg

Wappen von Grafschaft Hoya/Arms (crest) of Grafschaft Hoya
Official blazon
German blazon wanted
English blazon wanted


The arms were granted on April 2nd, 1928, originally with a black bear as a supporter.

The arms are the old arms of the Counts of Hoya. The arms were first used by the Lords of Stumpenhausen, who, in the early 13th century started to name themselves Counts of Hoya. The family died out in 1582 and the area was inherited by the Dukes of Braunschweig-Lüneburg.

The former district Syke belonged to another branch of the Counts of Hoya from 1384-1705 and since 1705 to Hannover.

The origin of the bear-claws is not known. They are used in many arms of towns and cities in the area, such as Bassum, Bücken, Nienburg, Steyerberg, Stolzenau, Sulingen, Syke, Uchte and the Landkreis Nienburg.

Wappen von Grafschaft Hoya/Coat of arms (crest) of Grafschaft Hoya

Postal cancellation 1973

Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.

This page is part of the
German heraldry portal

Heraldry of the World

German heraldry:

Selected collector's items from Germany:

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site