|Heraldry of the World
|British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Incorporated into : 1975 Perth and Kinross District Council (1996 Perth and Kinross Area Council)
Argent, between two piles Gules, a representation of the Market Cross of the Burgh therefrom pendant the jougs all Proper; on a chief of the Second, two mullets of the field.
Above the Shield is placed a mural coronet suitable to a Burgh and in an Escrol under the same this Motto "Siccar".
The arms were granted on July 23, 1934.
Kinross was created a Burgh of Barony in 1540-41 in favour of Robert Douglas of Loch Leven, and was raised to a Burgh of Regality in favour of Sir William Bruce of Kinross in 1685.
The arms are closely related to those of Douglas of Loch Leven, the major difference being that the third pile in the Douglas arms has been replaced by a representation of the Town Cross, with its iron "jougs", an old instrument of punishment by which defaulters could be secured to the Cross.
The Town Cross was shown on the Burgh seal and also the motto "Siccar" which, while obviously referring to the "jougs", has clearly a connection with the "Lock Sicker" of the Earls of Morton; this Earldom was inherited by Sir William Douglas of Loch Leven in 1588 and until the early eighteenth century the Earls of Morton lived at Kinross.
Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
Argent, between two piles Gules a representation of the Market Cross of the Burgh therefrom pendant the jougs all Proper, on a chief of the Second two mullets of the Field.
Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two-halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or, and in an Escrol under the same this Motto "Siccar".
The arms were granted on February 25, 1987.
These are the Burgh arms with a crown of a community council.
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature: Porteous, 1906; Urquhart, 1974, 2001