The arms were granted on October 23 1974.
The bridge is taken from the arms of the city of Kitzingen. The two shields are the arms of Franken and the quartered shield of the Princes of Castell. This shield is derived from the arms of the former district of Gerolzhofen, as several municipalities were transferred from Gerolzhofen to Kitzingen in 1973.
The grapes symbolise the importance of viticulture in the district.
Postal cancellation 1985
The previous arms were granted on February 25, 1955.
The quartered shield in the first quarter is the arms of the Hohenzollern dynasty. A large part of the district belonged to the Counts of Brandenburg-Ansbach, who for a long time were of the Hohenzollern dynasty. The second quarter shows the arms of the Lords von Seinsheim, who had their castle and territory in the district. The lower part shows the arms of Franken, the symbol of the State of Würzburg, to which a large part of the district belonged.
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site