|Heraldry of the World
|British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Incorporated into : 1974 Rotherham
Arms : Quarterly ermine and azure, on a cross Or between in the first quarter a cock and magpie combatant proper, in the second quarter a hart trippant, in the third quarter a garb of the third, and in the fourth quarter an oak tree eradicated also proper fructed gold,a torteau charged with a rose argent, barbed and seeded also proper.
Crest : On a wreath of the colours, A castle of four towers Or.
Motto: Consilio et animis
The arms were officially granted on March 11, 1949.
The quarterly shield ermine and blue with a gold cross is taken from the arms of the Osborne family, Barons Osborne of Kiveton, Earls of Danby, and Dukes of Leeds. The fighting cock and pynot (magpie) allude to the Cock and Pynot Inn on Whittington Moor, where in 1688, Thomas Osborne, Earl of Danby, his bodyguard of Kiveton men, the Earl of Devonshire, John D'Arcy of Aston, and others met to plot the overthrow of the Roman Catholic King James II and to place the Protestant Prince William of Orange on the throne. The golden hart refers to Hart Hill (formerly part of Sherwood Forest) and the golden wheatsheaf denotes the agricultural importance of the district. The oak-tree with its golden acorns represents the trysting-tree in Harthill Walk, near Todwick, immortalised by Sir Walter Scott in "Ivanhoe". The white rose on the red roundel represents the County of York.
The gold four-towered castle alludes to the now ruined Thorpe Hall or Castle which was built circa 1570 by a member of the Sandford family and was for a time the home of the Osbornes, chief lords of the manor for centuries.
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site