Province: Pomorze Zachodnie
County: free urban city
The arms were officially granted on February 10, 1959.
The arms are based on a seal from 1214 of prince Boguslaw II, where he grants freedom for the town of Koszalin. The arms show a helmeted knight on horseback, holding a banner with the Polish eagle.
The arms as shown in 1970
These arms are the third arms for the city.
The oldest arms show the head of St. John Baptist on a platter. It has been stated that the arms were already granted in 1344, but this is most likely not true. The head appears for the first time on the secret seal (secretum) of the city from 1406. The great seal showed a completely different composition, of a gate with different towers and additional attributes. This composition, known since the early 14th century, never was adopted into the arms.
The shape and size of both the platter and the head have changed often during the centuries, but not the composition.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
The police stamp shown in 1892
Seal from around 1900
The arms around 1905
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms in the Abadie albums
In 1939 the Nazi regime did not approve of religious symbols and new arms were designed for the city of Köslin. These arms showed a letter Z of wolf's-hook (also described as a rune symbol), and two rings. This composition was taken from old coins of the city, which showed the city arms with the head on the one side and the Z with rings on the other. The letter never appeared on the arms or seals of the city.
The arms from 1939-1959
The arms were used until 1959, although the shape of the letter was slightly adjusted after the war.
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature : Hupp, O : Königreich Preussen. Wappen der Städte, Flecken und Dörfer. Reprint von 1896 und 1898. Kulturstiftung der deutschen Vertriebenen, Bonn, 1993.