Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on February 22, 1936 and augmentd on December 10, 1986.
The arms are based on the oldest coloured image, known from a manuscript dating from 1529. The origin of the lion is not clear. The city used in the 13th century two different seals, one with the lion of Brabant, the other with the lion of Limburg. A 15th century seal also showed a lion, double-tailed, so most likely the lion of Limburg. Why the colours were changed in 1529 is not known, the Limburg lion being red on a silver field.
In 1936 the city also received an official seal, which is based on the historical seal from the late 15th century. It shows the arms, and a document indicating that Landen, which was destroyed in the 15th century, was restored in its historical rights. The trees probably are just for decoration.
The arms in a 17th century manuscript
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site