|In Blau eine mit einem sechsstrahligen blauen Stern belegte silberne Salzkufe, dahinter schräg gekreuzt ein goldener und ein silberner Schlüssel.
The arms were officially granted on March 12, 1964.
The arms are a combination of symbols taken from different older arms. As the city did not have its official arms, there were several different arms for the city used in the 19th and early 20th century.
From 1885 onwards a shield with only a blue star was mentioned as arms for the city. The star is most likely derived from the arms of the Counts of Gutrath, who owned the city for a long time. In 1896 a shield with in the upper half a lion, and in the lower half a series of salt miner's tools were mentioned.
In 1928 Hupp showed only a salt barrel (Salzkufe), without further reference to its origin, see below:
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The present arms combine the salt barrel as a symbol for the salt mining, combined with the blue star. The two crossed keys behind the barrel are derived from the historical arms of the Berchtesgaden territory.
The arms on a road sign
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site