MEISSEN (MEI) from 1994-1997 Meissen-Radebeul
The arms were granted on March 19, 2009.
The arms show the lion of the historical County of Miessen in a red bordure. The bordure indicates that the present district forms the centre of the former county.
Before 2008 the district used the arms below that were officially granted on November 16, 1992 and again on February 20, 1997.
Postal cancellation 1999
In 1948 the old DDR district of Meissen adopted the arms below. The arms show two crossed swords, symbol for the title of Archmarshall of the Empire, used by the Dukes of Sachsen. The left half shows the arms of Sachsen. The Dukes used the swords in black, but in the arms they are shown in green, which resembled the logo of the famous Meissen chinaware.
The arms were abolished in 1952.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature: Leisering, 2000