Newmilns and Greenholm
|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
NEWMILNS AND GREENHOLM
Per chevron Gules and Ermine, a chevronel embattled on its upper edge of the First in base, and in chief a spinning rock and a shuttle Or.
Below the Shield which is surmounted of a coronet proper to a Burgh is placed on an Escrol this Motto "Weave Truth with Trust".
The arms were officially granted on January 28, 1951.
Newmilns and Greenholm became a Police Burgh in 1872.
The arms have for their field the red and ermine colours of Campbell of Loudoun. The red embattled chevronel recalls the Old Tolbooth (erected 1739) and thus the Lordship of the Regality of Loudoun; a representation of this building appeared on the seal adopted by the Burgh in 1892.
The spinning rock and shuttle which represent the weaving industry of the town were also present on the 1892 seal. This is thought to have sprung from Dutch and Huguenot refugees, who settled in Ayrshire in the seventeenth century, and consisted mainly of lace and madras manufacturing.
The motto is that of the First Guild of Weavers of Newmilns to whom President Abraham Lincoln presented an American flag in gratitude for their messages of support and sympathy during the American Civil War. This flag became a cherished possession of the town.
Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature : Urquhart, 1974; seal from Porteous, 1906.