The arms show a city wall with a tower, on which a blue banner with a golden lion. The silver field scattered with blue fleur-de-lis. The banner is the banner of the Counts von Eberstein, who acquired the local castle in 1274. They granted the city rights in 1309 and remained lords of the town until 1663.
The composition of the castle and banner already appeared in 15th century seals of the city. The seals show some decoration on the field, but it is unclear what it shows. On later seals and images this decoration was made into the present fleur-de-lis. In the 18th century the town used severeal seals on which the city wall was replaced by a church.
At the end of the 19th century the old composition was restored. In the beginning of the 20th century the arms were shown with a silver, uncrowned lion. Why this was changed is unknown.
In 1945 the reference to the Counts von Eberstein was removed, and the tower now showed a small banner of Poland. The number of fleur-de-lis was reduced to six (that looked more like stars). In the 1990s, the old arms were restored, but again with the silver lion. Only later the golden lion was restored, but now with a golden crown, instead of the historical red crown.
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms as shown in 1963
The arms as shown in 1993
Literature: Plewako and Wanag, 1994
|Heraldry of the World
|Polish heraldry portal
Herbarz Miast Polskich
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site