|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Argent, in the waves of the sea Proper a lymphad Sable, oars in action, with a beacon on the top of the mast Proper, in base a salmon naiant Argent; on a chief parted per pale, dexter, Azure, a lion rampant Argent; sinister, gyronny of eight Or and Sable.
And in Escrol below the Shield this Motto "Air Aghart".
The arms were granted on May 31, 1901.
Oban was created a Burgh of Barony in favour of George William, 6th Duke of Argyll, in 1811.
The arms show the black galley of Lorn, flaming beacon at the masthead, to recall the Lordship of Lorn which has been held by the Earls and Dukes of Argyll since the fifteenth century, when Colin, 1st Earl of Argyll, married Isabel Stewart, the Lorn heiress; the galley and the salmon below denote that Oban is an important fishing centre and seaport.
In the chief are the silver lion on a blue field of the MacDougalls, ancient Lords of Lorn, along with the gold and black gyronny of the Campbell Earls and Dukes of Argyll.
The Gaelic motto means "Forward".
The arms are now used by the Community Council
Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
The arms of the Community Council
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1935
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature : Urquhart, 1974