From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


State : Bayern
District (Kreis) : Main-Spessart (until 1973 Gemünden am Main)

Wappen von Rieneck/Arms (crest) of Rieneck
Official blazon
German Geviert mit sechsspeichigem silbernen Rad in der Schildmitte; 1 und 4: fünfmal sparrenförmig geteilt von Gold und Rot, 2 und 3: neunmal geteilt von Gold und Rot
English blazon wanted


The arms combine the old arms of the Counts of Riedeck (bars in the second and third quarters, derived from the arms of the Counts of Loon, now Belgium) with the chevrons of the Counts ofHanau (first and fourth quarters).
The wheel in the centre is derived from the arms of the State of Mainz.

Rieneck received city rights in 1250 by the Counts of Riedeck, who had built a castle near the village in 1179. The family used a quartered shield of Rieneck and Hanau. In 1366 the city became a possession of the Archbishops of Mainz and belonged to the State of Mainz until 1803. It is not known when the arms were granted or devised. The oldest seals of the city date from the early 19th century and already show the arms.

Wappen von Rieneck/Coat of arms (crest) of Rieneck

The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925

This page is part of the
German heraldry portal

Heraldry of the World

German heraldry:

Selected collector's items from Germany:

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site

Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s