|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Argent, in the sea Proper, a ship with three masts riding at anchor Sable.
The Motto "Tutissima Statio".
The arms were officially granted in 1673.
Stranraer was created a Burgh of Barony in favour of Ninian Adair of Kinhilt in 1595.
The arms are characteristic of a seaport; the Lyon Office was fond of black ships for quite a long period. The Latin motto-"The safest station"-obviously refers to the safe anchorage which Loch Ryan, on which the town stands, offered to sailing vessels.
The Burghal coronet was added in 1948 on the suggestion of the Lyon Office and was included by the Herald Painter in a drawing specially commissioned in that year.
Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1935
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature : Urquhart, 1974