Würzburg (kreis)

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


State : Bayern
Additions : 1973 Ochsenfurt

Wappen von Würzburg (kreis)/Arms (crest) of Würzburg (kreis)
Official blazon
German blazon wanted
English blazon wanted


The arms were granted on December 13, 1974.

In the new arms the Moor's head of the previous arms (see below) has been replaced by the lions, derived from the arms of the former Ochsenfurt district. The colour of the fleur-de-lis has also been changed to its original colour.

Wappen von Würzburg (kreis)/Arms (crest) of Würzburg (kreis)

The previous arms were granted on January 16, 1957.

The arms show in the upper part the arms of the former State of Würzburg, the so-called Points of Franconia (Fränkische Rechen), which are very common in this part of Bavaria. The lower part shows the fleur-de-lis of the St.Burkhard monastery in Würzburg, and the Moor taken from the arms of the Counts of Wolfskeel. Both the counts as the monks owned substantial parts of the district.

This page is part of the
German heraldry portal

Heraldry of the World

German heraldry:

Selected collector's items from Germany:

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site

Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Linder and Olzog, 1996