The arms were granted on December 11, 1973.
The staff is taken from the old arms of the Säckingen district and symbolises the many monasteries and abbeys in the district. The green colour is the symbol for the woods.
The silver bend symbolises the Rhein river and its importance for the local economy.
The lower past shows a wheel as a symbol for the hydro-electric power in the district. The wheel was also taken from the old arms of the district.
The old arms were granted on November 25, 1957.
The tree and mountain indicate that the district has many forests and a mountainous terrain. The wavy bar is the Rhine river. The wheel is a symbol for the industry in the district. The red and silver colours are taken from the arms of Austria, as a large part of the district belonged to Austria for several centuries.
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site