The arms were granted in 1971.
The arms show the arms with the bar of the Counts of the Mark. The area belonged historically to the county of Mark. The lower figure is taken from the arms of the Lords of Volmarstein and was part of the arms of Amt Volmarstein.
The upper part show a stylised W, the initial of Wetter. The oldest seals of Wetter date from the late 14th century and show only the arms of the Mark, with St. Pancratius as supporter. St. Pancratius was the patron saint of the town. In the late 19th century the saint was changed to St. Catherine, the patron saint of the chapel of the local castle. The reason of the change is unknown
The previous arms were granted on January 28, 1911 and only show the bar of Mark and the letter W.
Seal from around 1900 with St. Catherine
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature: Veddeler, 2003; Meyer, 1940