HOTW Picture of the Day :
Bonheiden.jpg

123rd Field Artillery Regiment, Illinois Army National Guard

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Usa.jpg
US heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United States
Usa.flag.gif

123RD FIELD ARTILLERY REGIMENT, ILLINOIS ARMY NATIONAL GUARD

Coat of arms (crest) of the 123rd Field Artillery Regiment, Illinois Army National Guard

Official blazon

Shield: Gules, a chevron Azure fimbriated Or between three fleurs-de-lis and a lamb couchant of the third.
Crest: That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Illinois Army National Guard: On a wreath of the colors Or and Gules upon a grassy field the blockhouse of old Fort Dearborn, Proper.
Motto: PARATI ET VOLENTES (Ready And Willing).

Distinctive Unit Insignia. Description: A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Gules, a chevron Azure fimbriated Or between three fleurs-de-lis and a lamb couchant of the third. Attached below and to the sides of the shield a Gold scroll inscribed “PARATI ET VOLENTES” in Black letters.

Origin/meaning

The shield is red for Artillery. The blue chevron alludes to the Infantry origin and the ability with which the regiment always obtained its objective. The three fleurs-de-lis symbolize the three major engagements in which the 123d Field Artillery participated during World War I – Lucey Sector (Lorraine), St. Mihiel Offensive, and Meuse-Argonne Offensive. The lamb is taken from the seal of Puerto Rico and signifies service in Puerto Rico during the Spanish-American War.

The coat of arms was originally approved for the 123d Field Artillery Regiment, Illinois National Guard on 31 March 1928. It was redesignated for the 123d Field Artillery Battalion, Illinois National Guard on 10 December 1942. The insignia was redesignated for the 123d Artillery Regiment, Illinois National Guard on 19 December 1960. It was redesignated for the 123d Field Artillery Regiment, Illinois Army National Guard on 11 July 1972. The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 123d Field Artillery Regiment, Illinois National Guard on 30 March 1928. It was redesignated for the 123d Field Artillery Battalion, Illinois National Guard on 10 December 1942. The insignia was redesignated for the 123d Artillery Regiment, Illinois National Guard on 19 December 1960. It was redesignated for the 123d Field Artillery Regiment, Illinois Army National Guard on 11 July 1972.



Follow us on Facebook.jpg

(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)

Donate.jpg

Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Rate these arms / rate this page :
0.00
(0 votes)

(no information about you is stored when voting, only the vote itself is stored)



Literature: Image from Wikimedia Commons. Information from The Institute of Heraldry, US Army.