394th (Infantry) Regiment, US Army
394TH (INFANTRY) REGIMENT, US ARMY
(Coat of Arms)
(Distinctive Unit Insignia)
Shield: Azure, a pairle reversed Argent.
Crest: That for the regiments and separate battalions of the Army Reserve: From a wreath Argent and Azure, the Lexington Minute Man Proper. The statue of the Minute Man, Captain John Parker (H.H. Kitson, sculptor), stands on the common in Lexington, Massachusetts.
Motto: AUDAX ET CAUTUS (Bold and Wary).
Distinctive Unit Insignia. Description: A silver color metal and enamel device 1 5/32 inches (2.94cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Azure, pairle Argent. Attached below the shield, a Maroon scroll inscribed "AUDAX ET CAUTUS" in Silver letters.
The 394th Infantry, Organized Reserves, was organized in November 1921, as a unit of the 197th Brigade, 99th Division; Headquarters of the Regiment was in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and the entire personnel of the original unit was drawn from Pennsylvania. The shield is blue for Infantry. The reversed pairle represents the Monongahela and Allegheny Rivers flowing into the Ohio River, thus indicating the territory to which the regiment is allocated.
The arms were originally approved for the 394th Regiment Infantry, Organized Reserves on 2 December 1929. It was redesignated for the 394th Regiment on 27 April 1999. The Distinctive Unit Insignia was originally approved for the 394th Regiment Infantry, Organized Reserves on 29 November 1929. On 27 April 1999 the insignia was designated for the 394th Regiment. Literature: Images from Wikimedia Commons. Information from The Institute of Heraldry, US Army.