447th Signal Battalion, US Army

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Usa.jpg
US heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United States
Usa.flag.gif

447TH SIGNAL BATTALION, US ARMY

History: Activated 10 August 1942 as 447th Signal Battalion (Aviation). Deactivated 24 October 1945 at Camp Shanks, NY. Reactivated in Germany 28 January 1955 and deactivated there 13 November 1967. Reactivated as a Training Unit on 23 September 1985.

Arms of 447th Signal Battalion, US Army

(Coat of Arms)
Arms of 447th Signal Battalion, US Army

(Distinctive Unit Insignia)

Official blazon

Shield: Tenné, four beacons Argent the flames Proper fimbriated of the last.
Crest: From a wreath Argent and Tenné a lightning bolt fesswise of the first supporting a lion passant Or charged on the shoulder with a fleur-de-lis Azure
Motto: Signa victoriae (Signals for Victory)

Distinctive Unit Insignia Description: A Silver metal and enamel device 1 5/32 inches (2.94 cm) in height overall cosisting of a shield blazoned: Tenné, four beacons Argent the flames Proper fimbriated of the last. Attached below the shield a silver scroll inscribed "SIGNA VICTORIAE" in Red letters.

Origin/meaning

Orange and White are the colours of the Signal Corps. The Beacon is an ancient form of Signalling. They are four recalling the four campaigns in Europe during World War II. The Lion symbolises service in Central Europe and the fleur-de-lis service in France. The Lightning symbolises quick response and electronic capabilities.

The coat of Arms and Distictive Unit Insignia was approved on 9 June 1955. The Coat of Arms was amended to add a Crest on 4 March 1997.


Literature: The Institute of Heraldry, US Army