ALTRINCHAM (borough council)
Incorporated into : 1974 Trafford
Arms : Azure in chief two Garbs and in base a Cogwheel Or.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours a Lion passant guardant Or supporting with the dexter forepaw a Staff Gules the truck Gold flying therefrom a Banner Azure charged with a Cornucopia fessewise of the first the fruit proper.
Supporters : On the dexter side a Unicorn Ermine armed maned and unguled Or gorged with a Collar Gules pendent thereform by a Chain of the last an Escutcheon barry of six Argent and Azure and on the sinister side a Lion Or gorged with a Collar Gules pendent therefrom by a like Chain an Escutcheon quarterly Gules and Or in the first Quarter a Lion passant Argent.
Motto : 'ALTRINCHAM EN AVANT'-Altrincham leads the way
The arms were officially granted on August 30, 1937.
The wheatsheaves and cogwheel refer to the agricultural and engineering industries, while the former are also symbols for Cheshire County.
The lion in the crest supports a banner symbolic of plenty, recalling the town's former motto, Pax et abuntantia.
The supporters stand for two great families of past and present importance in Altrincham's history. The unicorn is from the heraldry of the Earl of Stamford whose arms (for the family of Grey) hang from the collar. The lion, with the arms of Massey on its pendent shield, represents the old Barons of Dunham Massey, one of whom, Hamon de Massey, granted the town a charter in 1290.
Before 1937 totally different arms were used by, or attributed to, the borough, see below:
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1925