Incorporated into : 1974 Tameside
Arms : Per pale Argent and Gules a Pickaxe and a pierced Mullet in pale counterchanged in dexter chief a Rose of the second and in sinister chief a Rose of the first both barbed and seeded proper.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours a Mill-Wheel proper between a Rose Argent and a Rose Gules both barbed and seeded proper.
Motto: 'FESTINA LENTE' - Hasten slowly
The arms were officially granted on November 17, 1950.
The divided shield and the red and white roses indicate the town's proximity to the border between Lancashire and Yorkshire. The pick and mill-wheel on the crest refer to local industries, and the mullet is taken from the arms of the Assheton family, Lords of the Manor of Audenshaw.