Bletchley

From Heraldry of the World
Revision as of 14:21, 30 January 2024 by Knorrepoes (talk | contribs) (Text replacement - "↵↵'''" to "'''")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 16,277
  • Total images in the British section : 9,331

BLETCHLEY (urban district council)

Incorporated into: 1974 Milton Keynes

Arms (crest) of Bletchley

Official blazon

Arms : Barry Argent and Azure an Eagle displayed wings inverted Or on a Chief per pale Gules and Sable a Saxon Crown between two Bulls' Heads caboshed Gold.
Crest :Out of a Mural Crown Or a demi Horse Sable gorged with a Collar gemel and maned Argent breathing Flames proper and supporting a Spear erect Gules.
Motto: 'PROGREDIENS CONFIRMATUR ANIMUS' - Our spirit is strengthened by advancing

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on April 12, 1955.

The white and blue barred background is from the arms of the de Greys, Lords of the Manor of Etone, which included Water Eaton, Bletchley and Fenny Stratford. The golden eagle is symbolic of the Romans and refers to the origin of Fenny Stratford around Watling Street and Magiovintum. The red and black 'chief' is in the liveries of the Dukes of Buckingham and the background of the County arms. This, with the Saxon crown from the County crest, indicates the importance of Bletchley in the affairs and administration of North Buckinghamshire.
The bulls' heads refer to the importance of the agricultural markets, the Fenny Stratford market (granted in 1104) being the ancestor of the modern Bletchley market. Thus Roman, Saxon, mediaeval and modern stages are all shown.

The mantling is in the liveries of the shield, those of the ancient Welsh family of Hanmer, who have close connections with the Parish of Simpson. The gold mural crown, has a triple significance. It is a familiar emblem of local government, appears in the same position in the arms of the Leons of Bletchley Park, and also refers to the brickmaking industry, which saw the beginnings of modern industrial development in the area. The black horse, ('The Iron Horse') breathing fire and with a flowing white mane, is a symbol of the development of the area with the advent of the railway, which is further represented by the double collar around the horse's neck.
The red spear is a symbol of the martyrdom of St. Thomas, patron saint of Simpson, to indicate that this parish contained the original Fenny Stratford station.

The motto is from Cicero and is symbolic of Bletchley and its future.


Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the siteLiterature: Information provided by David Hale