Incorporated into : 1974 South Tyneside
Arms : Azure within two Chevronels three Purses Or in chief two Escallops and in base three Lilies issuing from one stalk Argent.
Crest : Issuant from a Mural Crown Sable charged with three Ears of Wheat Or a demi Lion Argent holding between the paws an open Book of the last bound and clasped Gold.
Motto : 'AUDACES PRORSUM' - Boldly forward
The arms were officially granted on March 20, 1953.
The main colours of the shield, blue and gold, are the colours of the See of Durham, which held the manor of Boldon and the living of Whitburn. The blue and white colours of the Whitburn portion are the traditional colours of both St. Mary and St. Andrew and the two chevronels represent two settlements, the ancient parishes of Boldon and Whitburn.
The three golden purses are an emblem of St. Nicholas and represent the three constituent townships of East and West Boldon and Boldon Colliery, parts of the ancient parish of St. Nicholas, Boldon.
The three white lilies are an emblem of St. Mary, thus representing the ancient parish of St. Mary, Whitburn, and the three constituent townships of Whitburn, Whitburn Colliery and Cleadon. The two white scallop shells indicate the coastal situation of the district.
The black mural crown is a symbol of civic authority and indicates a mining community and the three gold wheatears represent agriculture. The lion is from the arms of the Durham County Council and holds a book, which represents the " Boldon Buke " of Bishop Pudsey (12th century).