Caledonia in Darién
|Heraldry of the World |
Heráldica del mundo
|Panama heraldry portal|
Heráldica de Panamá
CALEDONIA IN DARIÉN
Arms: Azur on a St Andrews cross argent betwixt a ship under sail flagg'd of Scotland in chief proper, a Peruvian sheep in base a Camel in the dexter and an Elephant in the sinister the first two of these loaded and the last bearing a turret argent (These being the proper Arms of the Company And for a suitable difference to the Colony) over all on an Inescutcheon gules a Thistle head crown'd or. The shield being adorned and surrounded with two thistles issuing disposd in orl and crossing other at foot and top.
The arms were officially granted on April 16, 1698, making it one of the oldest UK grants to the Americas.
The Colony of Caledonia was a short-lived (1698-1700) attempt by the Scottish Kingdom to establish a colony in the Americas. It was a venture of the Company of Scotland Trading to Africa and the Indies.
We have no information on the meaning or origin of these arms.
If you have any information on these arms in Darién mail us !
Literature : Blazon kindly provided by the Lyon Court, Edinburgh