Incorporated into : 1964 Kensington and Chelsea
Arms : Gules within a Cross voided Or a Crozier in pale of the last in the first quarter a winged Bull statant in the second a Lion rampant reguardant both Argent in the third a Sword point downwards proper pomel and hilt Gold between two Boars' Heads couped at the neck of the third and in the fourth a Stag's Head caboshed of the second.
Motto : 'NISI DOMINUS FRUSTRA' - Unless God be with us all will be in vain
The arms were officially granted on February 28, 1903.
The crosier alludes to the abbot of Westminster, Lord of the Manor of Chelsea. The winged bull is the symbol of St. Luke, patron saint of the parish. The lion represents Lord Cadogan, the sword and boars from Sir Hans Sloane, both Lords of the Manor of Chelsea. The stag's head comes from the Stanley family. One of Sit Hans' daughters married into the Stanley family.
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
The arms on a Wills's cigarette card, 1906
The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Scott-Giles, C.W. : Civic heraldry of England and Wales, London, 1932.