Christ Church Cathedral, Springfield, Massachusetts
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL, SPRINGFIELD
Denomination : Anglican
Per fess wavy argent and sable, in chief argent a cross azure charged with a Chi-Rho enfiling a coronet Or; in the base a portcullis chained Or.
The Chief symbolizes the name of the Cathedral. The Wavy partition alludes to Springfield. The Portcullis represents springfield Armoury where the first Episcopal services was held on 15 May 1817. Christ Church Parish ws organised in 1838, the present church building begun in 1874 and in 1929 it was made the Cathedral of the Diocese of Western Massachusetts.
Literature : Eckford De Kay: Heraldry in the Episcopal Church